Eating Fruit And Vegetables Helps Fight Depression

Eating Fruit And Vegetables Helps Fight Depression

The depression is a disease that affects many people. It is not a matter of feeling only a passing sadness, but of a much deeper disorder, a disorder but, that we can keep away. And how do we do it? Following a healthy lifestyle, doing regular physical activity, trying to maintain a “positive” mood, and following a healthy diet, a diet that can protect both the body and the mind.

As the Daily Mail reports, common foods ranging from leafy greens to tomatoes and spices like oregano and cinnamon can help build this distance and reduce the risk of depression.

This study shows that the greater the consumption of vegetables, the lower the risk of suffering from depression. And that’s not all! Increased consumption of fruits and vegetables (about seven servings of fruits or eight servings of vegetables a day), gives us an increase in the sense of happiness, and makes us feel more calm and serene.

Eating Fruit And Vegetables Helps Fight DepressionEating Fruit and Vegetables Helps Fight Depression

According to experts, the vegetables and fruits contain substances that inhibit the production of an enzyme called monoamine oxidase (MAO), whose levels are particularly high in people suffering from depression. This enzyme is linked to the levels of an important class of neurotransmitters called monoamines (which include serotonin and dopamine). Many vegetables and fruits like apples, berries, grapes, onions or green tea contain phytonutrients that appear to inhibit MAO, and so do spices such as cloves, oregano, cinnamon or nutmeg.

Several studies also suggest that free radicals – molecules that cause tissue damage and contribute to aging – may play an important role in the development of psychiatric disorders such as depression. To avoid this risk, it can be very helpful to eat more fruits and vegetables, foods rich in antioxidants that help fight free radicals and thus reduce the risk of depression. Of course, remember that an excess of antioxidants is also harmful to the body. You have to find the perfect balance and therefore the importance of following a healthy and balanced diet.

So, can fruits and vegetables help us to be happy? The answer is “yes,” at least according to the results of a new study conducted by members of the University of Warwick Medical School and published in the open BMJ.

The study was conducted with data from the England Health Survey, and is based on a sample of 14,000 participants over 16 years. 56% of the participants were men, while the remaining 44% were women.

Eating Fruit and Vegetables Helps Fight Depression

Having said that, after an analysis of the mental well-being of the volunteers, it became clear that the so-called “high and low” mood was consistently related to the consumption of fruits and vegetables of each individual.

Specifically, 33.5% of respondents with a high level of mental well-being consumed five or more servings of fruits and vegetables per day, 28.4% only 1 or 2 servings, while 6.8% of these Ate less than a portion of these foods.

“Data,” Dr. Saverio Stranges explains, “suggest that the greater the intake of fruits and vegetables from a person, the lower the likelihood of having a mental health problem. These new findings suggest that intake of fruits and vegetables can play an important role not only for physical development but also for mental well-being in the general population. “

The results of this research are in addition to the growing number of studies that highlight the positive effects of fruit and vegetable consumption, not only to improve one’s own mental well-being but also to prevent heart disease, cancer, obesity and many other diseases.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *